Night 97: Protesters march to PPB’s North Precinct, 3 arrested


PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Protesters gathered Wednesday night in Northeast Portland and once again marched to a police building, leading to three arrests being made as demonstrations stretched into a 97th night.

The event was announced earlier in the day as a “direct-action march protesting systemic racism and police brutality.” Organizers asked people to meet at Woodstock Park at 8 p.m. A few dozen people had arrived by 9:30 p.m. but the gathering seemed to lack direction. They moved to Alberta Park in northeast Portland an hour later and marched to the Portland Police Bureau’s North Precinct, arriving by about 11:15 p.m.

The Portland Police Bureau tweeted as the group drew near that NE Emerson Street was closed between NE MLK Boulevard and NE 6th Avenue. The PPB later explained the North Precinct’s entrance in the area is vital for employees who are coming and going. Officers warned people to stay away — however, many in the crowd continued to gather near NE Emerson Street just east of NE MLK Boulevard.

Over the next few hours, some in the group threw items like water bottles and rocks towards officers who were on the roof of North Precinct. At 1:30 a.m., the group tore down tape and barricades set up by officers as they advanced further east on NE Emerson Street.

At that point, officers began making targeted arrests. By the end of the night, three people were taken into custody. The people arrested and their subsequent charges were listed as follows:

Arrests made overnight

  • 43-year-old Tara Bratton, Portland — Interfering with a Peace Officer
  • 31-year-old Rosalind Benoit, Portland — Disorderly Conduct II
  • 18-year-old John Yingling, Portland – Interfering with a Peace Officer, Disorderly Conduct II

The majority of the crowd had left the area by 2 a.m. No tear gas or crowd control munitions were used throughout the night.

‘A lot happens through prayer’

Earlier in the day, a group of local Christians stopped to pray near SW 3rd and Alder where Aaron J. Danielson was shot and killed Saturday night. The shooting took place near where a pro-Trump caravan rally and counterprotesters were clashing but it’s still unclear if the shooting that took Danielson’s life was connected to the protests.

Logan Anderson is part of Father’s House. He said he and his group stopped to pray on Wednesday not because they knew Danielson but because they believe in the power of prayer to change a situation.

“Pray for the families, even pray for the offenders. You know, people are caught up in violence, pain, things like that so we are just here to pray for God’s mercy — for life to take over these situations rather than more chaos and more violence. We are here to bring God’s life, His love and truth and a lot happens through prayer,” Anderson told KOIN 6 News.

Anderson said their group regularly travels around Portland to pray.

The previous night

The previous night’s protest activities remained quiet. About 20-30 people originally gathered at Alberta Park but later decided to relocate to the Justice Center in downtown Portland.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Twitter News Widget

Trending Stories