Riot declared near Tigard Police Department, 1 arrested


Group marched in response to the police killing of a domestic violence suspect the previous night

TIGARD, Ore. (KOIN) — A riot was declared shortly before 9 p.m. by Tigard police after a group of about 100 protesters began marching toward City Hall and the police department.

A group of about 100 protesters took to the streets of Tigard the night after police shot and killed a domestic violence suspect.

The group blocked traffic on their way to the Tigard Police Department, tagging public and private property in the process and vandalizing several businesses. Officers declared an unlawful assembly at about 8:45 p.m. when individuals began breaking windows at the Tigard Police Department and tagging city property.

Minutes later, the unlawful assembly was upgraded to a riot. The group quickly dispersed shortly after.

Police say one man, 20-year-old Zane Saleem Bsoul, was arrested on a charge of riot.

Images captured by reporters with KOIN 6 News media partner the Portland Tribune show smashed windows at the Tigard Police Department and nearby businesses. Local businesses — which had boarded up their exteriors earlier in the day — were tagged with graffiti. At the entrance to a State Farm Insurance building, someone spray-painted the words “stop killing people and we will stop rioting.”

Tigard Police Chief Kathy McAlpine cautioned nearby residents to “stay indoors and report any suspicious activity.”

Information posted online earlier in the day by SafePDX suggested a group would meet at 7 p.m. at SW Main and Scoffins Street in Tigard, then embark on a Direct Action March an hour later. A poster for the event read “cops shouldn’t answer mental health calls.”

Tigard police shooting

Officers were called out to the Edgewood Manor Apartments near SW Hall Boulevard and SW Bonita Road early Wednesday evening. Police said they tried to arrest 26-year-old Jacob Ryan Macduff, who was in his vehicle, but he refused to be taken into custody. Officers said Macduff was armed with a knife.

Police said an officer shot and killed Macduff during the struggle to arrest him. No officers were hurt. The Washington County Major Crimes Team is investigating.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Twitter News Widget

Trending Stories