SALEM, Ore. (KOIN) — Frustration is boiling over for a Salem man who is sick and tired of waiting for a repair he says should have been fixed months ago.
Four months ago, Doug Hutt had internet and TV problems that led to an electrical problem.
“As soon as the guy disconnected the cable, things started exploding in my house,” he told KOIN 6 News. “The light just blew itself right out the socket.”
It turns out the cause was corroded underground copper wiring, which PGE partially replaced. Now that wire is above ground, exposed and susceptible to more damage.
“I’ve just decided I’ve been cast adrift on a sea of bureaucratic indolence.” — Doug Hutt
He says Portland General Electric has left him with a fire hazard that just isn’t safe.
Hutt said he’s had crews come out to his house, but they always say “somebody will come back and fix this for you,” Hutt told KOIN. “And somebody came back. He said the very same thing. ‘Somebody will come back and fix this for you.'”
On Friday, November 18, the crew was back, prepping his yard for excavation to finally fix it.
“Then I came over here and looked. And now I have a gigantic hole in my rain drain,” Hutt said. “This is not progress.”
PGE said it’s trying to do a better job of responding to problems like this. Most of the neighborhood and a large portion of the city of Salem have the same copper wire that is giving Hutt trouble.
“I’ve just decided I’ve been cast adrift on a sea of bureaucratic indolence,” Hutt said. “And I need help so I am screaming help like a drowning man in an ocean.”