Parent of student hurt in tunnel sues Salem, school district

Salem

The suit says the boy fell in the tunnel, breaking his wrist

generic gavel 02092018_1518225054889.jpg.jpg

SALEM, Ore. (AP) – The parent of a student injured as a sixth-grader while using an underground tunnel between a middle school and high school in Salem is suing the city of Salem and the school district for $235,000.

The Statesman Journal reports the lawsuit filed this week accuses the city of allowing the tunnel to become dangerous and Salem-Keizer Public Schools of failing to properly supervise and warn students of possible hazards.

The tunnel was constructed underneath the railroad tracks in 1939 and previously allowed students to easily travel from Parrish Middle School to North Salem High School.

Access to the tunnel was blocked Friday with a locked gate. School officials did not respond to questions Friday.

The suit says the boy fell in the tunnel, breaking his wrist.

Follow KOIN 6 for the latest news and weather

App

Download our FREE news and weather apps for iPhone, iPad and Android. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and sign up for our email newsletters.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Top Headlines

More News

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Twitter News Widget