PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Two people are now displaced after a 2nd-alarm fire damaged their Southeast Portland home early Monday morning.
Portland Fire & Rescue responded to the fire around 1:30 a.m. near Southeast 115th Avenue and Clinton Street after flames were seen coming out of the garage.
The blaze then spread to the house’s laundry room — filling the home with smoke. Fortunately, crews were able to get the fire under control within an hour — recalling the 2nd-alarm. Officials estimate the fire caused at least $150,000 in damages. The house next door also suffered heat damage due to the blaze.
Crews added that the smoke alarms did go off, which is what woke up the residents — allowing them to make it out safely.
An investigator told KOIN 6 News that the fire sparked from some sort of electrical issue. However, the heavily damaged garage is hindering the investigation process.