LONGVIEW, Wash. (KOIN) — People in Longview were asked to stay inside their homes early Friday morning after a two-alarm industrial fire broke out and fire crews became concerned about air quality.
Around 9 p.m. Thursday night, Longview Fire was called out to HASA Inc. for a fire. The company distributes water treatment products to sanitize and maintain water systems like swimming pools.
Fire crews said the chlorine bleach was a respiratory concern because it vaporizes under fire conditions. The HASA Inc. facility holds thousands of gallons of the liquid. Cowlitz County Emergency Management officials notified residents within a two-mile radius through a reverse 911 call and social media to stay inside.
By 1:30 a.m., no hazardous chemicals were detected to be in the air beyond 100 yards from the scene and the shelter in place advisory was lifted. However, some residents said they could smell something different in the air.
“A lot of plastic—we thought it was wires,” said nearby resident Wesley West. “We found out it was over there by the mill.”
Another resident said that he wasn’t notified of the shelter in place advisory. Residents such as Rick Haines said there has been concern over certain odors on other days, not associated with the industrial fire.
“There is [a] constant fluctuation of chlorine gas smell coming from that plant,” said Haines. “It comes in waves. I wasn’t out here this morning. I wasn’t told by anyone not to come out.”
Officials are continuing to monitor the air quality and other environmental concerns in the area.
All of the employees at the industrial plant were accounted for after the fire—no one was hurt.
Industrial Way was back open Friday after it was closed for hours while firefighters tackled the blaze. Longview Fire is still working to determine what started the fire.
Follow KOIN 6 for the latest news and weather