Wyden criticizes Trump’s new food stamp proposal

News

An estimated 66,000 Oregonians would be affected by this new proposal

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Senator Ron Wyden went to Meals on Wheels in Southwest Portland on Monday to talk about his concerns with the Trump administration’s new proposal to cut access to food stamps.

U.S. Department of Agriculture officials said it would take food away from 3.1 million people, including an estimated 66,000 Oregonians.

This has drawn criticism from Democratic senators, like Ron Wyden.

“Right now the Trump administration is scheming overtime 3,000 miles away to starve the connection to this vital anti-hunger lifeline,” said Wyden.

The Trump administration has been rolling out rule changes related to the food stamps after congress blocked their efforts to pass new restrictions last year.

According to the USDA, if enacted, the proposed rule would save the federal government about $2 and a half billion a year.

But Democrats and advocacy groups criticized it as an attack on the nation’s poorest.

Leaders with Hunger-Free Oregon say this proposal would block people with modest assets like a used car, from qualifying for food assistance, also known as SNAP.

“For so many families in Oregon, things like SNAP are what makes the difference, that really is what puts those healthy foods within reach for them,” said Annie Kirschner, Hunger-Free Oregon Executive Director.

As Senator Wyden stands by the anti-hunger advocates, he also vows to fight this proposal back in Washington, D.C.

Oregonians can make a public comment about the rule change. The window is open now through September 23.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Top Headlines

More News

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Twitter News Widget